Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Chicken - Tortilla Soup

tortilla soup

The snow has started.. so its time to bring out the soup recipes! I feel like soup is all I have been making for the last month. But, you can never have enough soup so Im okay with that.

It also makes fabulous leftovers. I even think homemade soup taste better as leftovers!

Growing up I only remember having soup out of a can. My mom makes a taco soup and a few others. But I just dont really remember eating it much.

Im not sure why because soup is the easiest thing in the world to make and it is sooo stinkin good.
tortilla soup


This is the Tortilla Soup Recipe that I have been using this year. We love it. As you can tell from the pictures, we crumble LOTS of chips and cheese on our bowls. I've also added a dollop of sour cream to the top - and thats really good! I recommend it. Oh my favorite thing about this recipe is its from Cooking Light.. so there are only 185 calories per serving! So I feel no quilt about adding all the chips & cheese!

Chicken Tortilla Soup
Adapted from Cooking Light.

Ingredients:
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 large onion (I just use 1 large sweet onion)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 10 ounces)
  • 1 can of whole-kernel corn
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 2 (14 1/4-ounce) cans no-salt-added chicken broth
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced peeled tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed reduced-fat reduced-sodium tomato soup, undiluted
  • tortilla chips (if you want to add them on top)
  • fat-free sour cream (if you want to add it on top)

Directions:

  1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
  2. Add onion and garlic; saute 2 minutes.
  3. Stir in chicken and next 9 ingredients (chicken through tomato soup); bring to a boil.
  4. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Ladle soup into bowls; top with tortilla chips and sour cream.


*I taste as I go and sometimes add more chili powder or other seasonings if I feel it needs it.
*Freeland adds jalapenos to his bowl if he is in the mood.
*Feel free to use frozen corn, fresh tomatoes, or whatever your little heart desires to make it how you like it.
*If you dont have wine - thats okay. But we do like it with the wine added to the recipe
*If Im in a hurry I turn up the oven so its a little hotter and dont simmer for the entire hour.

No comments: